01. How has your journey as a singer been so far, from recording YouTube videos to performing live with esteemed artists like Sonu Nigam & A.R. Rahman?
When I look back at where I’ve come from and all of the tremendous opportunities that I’ve had since I’ve been in India, I am so thankful for it all! I’ve caught myself teary eyed in the midst of rehearsals reflecting on the reality of these experiences that were once distant dreams. It’s been really fun and rewarding and I’ve learned so much along the way!
02. How old were you when you started getting involved in music?
I started performing when I was 4 years old, but music has been part of my life ever since I was born, thanks to my parents :).
03. You received immense popularity from your collaborations with ’88 Keys to Euphoria’. Are you fully focused on singing in Bollywood now, or will there be anymore collaborations in the future?
There will definitely be more collaborations coming in the future 🙂 Stay tuned and subscribe to my YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/jonitamusic, follow my Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/JonitaGandhi, twitter and Instagram at @jonitamusic to find out what I’m up to.
04. You recently collaborated with Arjun Artist on the track ‘Tujhe Bhula Diya’ with T-Series. How was the experience?
It was really a great experience to be a part of that production. It was the first time I really got to act in a music video to portray a storyline, so I had a lot of fun and the team was really awesome to work with.
05. Will we see any future such collaborations with Arjun?
Who knows what the future has in store!
06. What do you like the most about performing live?
Performing live is hard work but its really fun when the audience is engaged and reactive. Its good to have that interaction with them when they show you they’re enjoying what we’re doing on stage.
07. What is your favorite song to sing live?
One of my favourites to sing is Lag Ja Gale.
08. What kind of Music do you enjoy listening to?
Anything and everything. I like several different kinds of music, and I’m always open to hearing whatever my colleagues and friends recommend to me.
09. How does it feel to perform in the UK?
UK audiences are such a treat. I’ve had nothing but a fun times performing in the UK over the years.
10. What can the audience expect from the Absolute Bollywood show?
This event happened already back in November. We had a great turnout and a great time performing a wide range of Bollywood songs.
11. Any tips on how to maintain your voice especially for aspiring singers?
Don’t take your voice or body for granted. Hydration and sleep are probably the most important things for your voice! Make sure you’re warmed up before having to use your voice extensively. Other than that, I don’t have any specific tips. (laughs) Everyone is different so you have to observe the way your voice reacts to different things.
12. Are there any future projects that you can share with us?
Unfortunately I can’t really say, but make sure you follow me on social media so you’ll find out right away when new projects are released.
13. According to you, what do you think makes a YouTube song cover become popular?
Other than great content of course, sometimes it’s about timing, subscribers, who shares it, etc. But there are a lot of factors to consider, and there are people who’s job it is just to analyze this – so I recognize that there’s no simple answer.
14. How long have you been doing concerts now? Do you still get nervous? Any fond memories or fan stories of a live event?
I guess I’ve been performing for almost 20 years, but yes, there are definitely many times where I still get the jitters before going on stage haha.
15. If I were to turn on your iPod right now, 5 songs I’d find in your ‘recently played’?
Funny story… I don’t actually have an iPod haha! But if I had one, probably the songs which I need to learn for my next concert 😛
16.What does Jonita do when she’s not singing/performing?
Its pretty random actually haha. I love spending time with my friends and family as much as possible since I’m always on the road for shows, rehearsals and recordings. Movies, meals, travel, hanging out, playing games… anything and everything 🙂
17.10 years from now, you’ll be… ?
Great question! I’ll be thrilled to know what I’ll be doing when that time comes also 🙂 That’s a long time away from now and hard to predict where I’ll be and what I’ll be doing, but I’d love to see myself in mainstream music as well as Bollywood and independent music.
18.Lastly, do you have a message for your fans?
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! You all are the best, so encouraging and supportive! The heartwarming comments and feedback on social media, and the excitement of meeting some of you at shows around the world make this journey so much more fulfilling. I love you all!
Interviewer: Subhadeep Chakraborty Image Source: Google