In this article, I’m going to talk about one of the most popular essential oils- Tea Tree Oil. Chances are, you already have few bottles of this lying around in your house and you have no idea how to use it.
Firstly, an overview. Tea tree oil, also known as melaleuca oil, is an essential oil with a fresh camphor-like smell. It is extracted from the leaves of Melaleuca Alternifolia, which is native to Queensland and the North-east coast of Australia. It comes in a small jar, highly potent, and proved to have a lot of benefits.
Lets get the precautions out of the way:
1. Tea tree oil, like any other essential oil, is highly concentrated. Always dilute it with some carrier oil or plain water before using it.
2. It is toxic when ingested, has dangerous health hazards. Keep it STRICTLY out of reach of children and pets.
3. Always use it in very small amounts. Never go overboard with it.
4. A lot of people are allergic to this oil. Make sure to do a patch test somewhere on your face (e.g. Jawline) before using it.
Now let’s move on to the most awaited, it’s benefits:
1. To treat acne- Whenever you see a new zit popping up on your face, dilute 2-3 drops of tea tree oil with water and apply on the zit with a cotton ball or finger tips. You will notice gradual results.
2. Calm down skin irritation and inflammation- Add few drops of the oil with water and freeze them as ice cubes, apply that on your face after you have come out of the sun after a long day.
3. DIY face mask- Mix 2-3 drops of the oil in 2 tbsp of honey, apply that on your face and leave it on for 10-15 mins for naturally glowing skin.
4. Anti-dandruff- Mix 4-5 drops of the oil to your regular shampoo or hair oil and use it religiously to eventually get rid of dandruff. It also treats oily scalp.
5. Natural deodorant- Take 2-3 drops of the oil in your palm and apply on the pulse points (inside wrist, inside elbow, behind the ears, behind knees). It will keep body odour away.
6. The Exotic fusion- Mix 2-3 drops of tea tree oil with Aloe Vera gel and apply that on irritated skin (After waxing/shaving/threading and sunburns). Mix a little amount of glycerine with the mixture and use it as a hand sanitizer.
7. Treat foot fungus and foot odour: Mix tea tree oil with hot water, dip your feet in it for an in-home spa! Repeat this until you get rid of the problems.
8. Cure cold and sinus- Take hot boiling water and add 5-6 drops of the oil and steam your face. It really gets rid of the headache and the cold.